Monday, April 21, 2014

Quality Snacks: My radio interview with Andy Mozina

by Zinta Aistars
Airing on WMUK 102.1 FM
Kalamazoo, Michigan's NPR affiliate
Arts and More program




Kalamazoo writer Andy Mozina will be reading from his short stories called Quality Snacks as part of the Michigan Notable Book tour.
The event takes place April 23 at 5:30 at the Richland Community Library.
Quality Snacks mostly revolves around middle-aged Midwestern men from different backgrounds as they navigate relationships and divorce.
The book comes out in print on May 1st.
On Doritos
Andy Mozina in the radio studio
Mozina, an English professor at Kalamazoo College, used to have an addiction to Doritos chips. 
"The MSG is an addictive substance. And when I was in college I could easily buy a bag and just sit there  and eat it. And that continued far longer into adulthood than it should have," he says. "And then I realized what was happening...it's an addictive substance. Doritos is an addictive product."
While Mozina was going cold-turkey to get off of Doritos, he wrote a story about it. Now, he says, he doesn't touch the stuff.
Lies Make Great Stories
Mozina says he has a lot of trouble looking at his life or others' lives and putting that in writing. He says he finds it interesting, but it's just not quite offbeat enough for his style. Mozina says he likes exaggerating situations sometimes for the sake of a good story.
"It's very hard to take life straight I think. And I think just to get through things moment to moment, I will just say things that are not the case," he says. "I hope always that whoever I'm with knows that I'm exaggerating a little bit." 
A Quirk, A Twist, A Surprise
Instead of writing a story and then adding a twist to it, Mozina says ...

RADIO EDITED VERSION (as it aired) (4:17)

Arts and More programs air Tuesdays and Fridays at 7:50 a.m., 9:50 a.m., 4:29 p.m., 5:44 p.m., and Saturdays after "Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment