Sunday, February 16, 2014

Advocate: Building a Legacy of Health

by Zinta Aistars
Published in Women's Lifestyle Magazine
February 2014 Grand Rapids, MI


Kay Rose




Growing up, Kay Rose watched her mother’s health habits, and now her two teenage sons are watching hers.
“I lost my mother when I was 23,” said Rose. “But I watched her struggle with health problems most of my life.
My mom suffered a stroke when she was in her 40s, and I was only 3 or 4 years old at that time. I grew up with the knowledge that my mom was a stroke survivor.”
Rose’s mother suffered recurrences of mini-strokes and ultimately had to have bypass surgery.
“She never woke up from surgery,” Rose said, her voice catching. “She had a fatal stroke on the operating table.”
Rose’s own health habits have become a part of her daily routine. She knows her habits, from what goes on her plate to her workouts, have a big effect on her health as well as the health of her growing boys.
Rose began her career as an administrative associate at American Heart Association in Grand Rapids last April. She has been volunteering for the Go Red For Women campaign for five years. Prior to her job at AHA, she worked at Weight Watchers, where she learned what a difference a few changes to her daily habits could make on her overall health.
“I’d been overweight all of my life by about 50 pounds or so,” she said. “My cholesterol numbers were elevated, but when I got to about age 40, my blood pressure started creeping up, too. I had had readings of ...


No comments:

Post a Comment